Are you eligible for Medicare? As a Florida resident, most people 65 and older are eligible for Medicare, and if you receive Social Security checks, you will be enrolled in Medicare automatically.
If not, you will have to enroll in Florida Medicare on your own by calling the Social Security Administration or visiting their website. This process can be daunting. Fortunately, one of our professional agents at Thomas & Associates will help find/enroll in a Medicare plan that is right for you.
In Jacksonville, Florida, alone, there are 11 Medicare Medigap Supplement Plans, 17 Advantage Part C Policies, plus 19 Part D Drugs offered, so it is much easier and accurate if we do the research and set up the Medicare for you!
Medicare can also help younger people with disabilities and people with end-stage Renal Disease.
You’ll want to apply for Medicare three months before your 65th birthday, so you get these benefits on time. Medicare can be overwhelming; how do you choose the right plan?
Details About Different Types of Medicare
There are different parts of Medicare and each help cover specific services.
Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) covers inpatient hospital stays, care in a nursing facility, hospice care, and some home health care. Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers certain doctors’ services, outpatient care, medical supplies, and preventative services. Medicare Part D (Prescription Drug Coverage) adds drug coverage to original Medicare, some Medicare cost plans, some Medicare private-fee-for-service plans, and Medicare medical savings account plans. Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage) is an alternative to original Medicare – bundled plans include Part A, B, and D.
Ready to get Medicare? If you’re about to turn 65, you should likely enroll in Part A, even if you currently have health insurance from an employer. Why? You likely paid Medicare taxes while you worked, so you don’t pay a monthly premium for Part A. Some people choose to delay getting Part B, but everyone will have to pay a monthly premium for Part B. The monthly premium depends on your income when you enroll in Part B.
In 2019, the standard premium is $135.50 for Part B.
After choosing Part A or B or both, you may want additional Medicare drug coverage or supplement insurance but will not need it if you are still working. If Part A and B are not enough coverage for you or you want a more “complete” coverage, your best bet is to choose a Medicare Advantage Plan, which has additional benefits.
Medicare Advantage Plans include:
- HMO Plan – You must go to certain doctors on a list, except for emergencies. You will need a referral from your primary care doctor. HMO plans usually have prescription drug coverage.
- PPO Plan – You can choose your doctor from a larger network but can go to a doctor outside of the network at a cost. PPO plans usually have prescription drug coverage.
- Private Fee-for-Services Plan – This plan determines how much you need to pay for care, along with how much it will pay for hospitals, doctors and other health care providers. You won’t need a primary care doctor or a referral to see a specialist with this type of coverage. This type of plan usually provides prescription drug coverage.
- Medicare Special Needs Plan – This plan is designated for certain characteristics or diseases. It targets the specific needs of a person and limits care to doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers within the network. This plan provides prescription drug coverage.
- Medicare Medical Savings Account Plan — In this plan, you can choose any provider and service you like – it is like a health savings account.
Choosing and Applying for a Medicare Plan
As you can see, there’s a lot of plans and a lot to think about when choosing a Medicare Plan. When deciding about which plan to choose, think about your current medical needs, compare plan costs, and make sure your doctors are covered.
All this information can be difficult to understand, process and navigate. At Thomas & Associates, we have years of experience helping people find and apply for the right Medicare plan. We will help you choose a plan that covers the services you need, that limits your out of pocket costs like deductibles, copays, coinsurance, and that allows you to keep your doctor and hospital of choice.
Our certified agent brokers at Thomas & Associates insurance agency in Jacksonville, Florida, can help you select a Medicare insurance plan that is best suited to medical needs and finances.
We want to help you find the Medicare plan, so you live your life with peace of mind. Contact us to get a quote today! To get started with us, click our Jacksonville Medicare insurance contact page or call 904-730-3900 .